LINGUIST List 30.4129
Fri Nov 01 2019
Calls: Applied Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Sociolinguistics/Germany
Editor for this issue: Everett Green <everettlinguistlist.org>
Reyhan Sögüt <reyhan.soeguet
Diversity and Cognition. Interdisciplinary Approaches in Linguistics, Literature and Media Studies. E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Diversity and Cognition. Interdisciplinary approaches in linguistics, literature and media studies.
Date: 05-Feb-2020 - 07-Feb-2020
Location: Dortmunder U, Dortmund, Germany
Contact Person: Barbara Mertins
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.diversitaet.fb15.tu-dortmund.de/cms/de/AG-Diversitaetsstudien/
Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Sociolinguistics
Call Deadline: 08-Dec-2019
The research group “Diversity Studies. Cognition, Literature, Media, Language“ at TU Dortmund University has as its aim to explore the many facets of diversity from the perspectives of linguistics as well as literary and media studies. The conference on “Diversity in Cognition“, taking place February 5-7, 2020 at the „Dortmunder U“, will be the first of a series of conferences focusing on such interdisciplinary and multimodal approaches to Diversity Studies. This first conference will be dealing with the multiple links between diversity and cognition.
Call for Papers:
Deadline extended to December 8, 2019.
Scholars in the field of linguistics (psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, and applied linguistics) conduct empirical research on how linguistic, cultural and individual diversity influences cognitive processes in different domains – however, the interdisciplinary links to current discussions in cultural studies need to be explored further: If linguistic, especially grammatical structures substantially shape individual thought and thereby create sociocultural diversity, the question to be answered is how these various and interconnected factors impact cognition as well as the literary, medial and linguistic productivity of modern societies. At the same time, the concept of super-diversity (originally developed in social studies) takes into account the fact that, as a consequence of increasing migration and mobility as well as the globally intensifying use of communication technologies, categories of difference do not only overlap, but also diversify within the categories themselves.
The conference is divided into four panels that will discuss approaches to diversity studies from the perspectives of psycholinguistics, applied linguistics, media studies, and literary studies.
Panel 1: Cognition and Psycholinguistics
1. Linguistic relativity: The influence of language on cognition
2. Influences of different kinds of expertise on cognition and perception
3. Topics from multilingualism research
Panel 2: Cognition and Language
1. Cognitive resources and processes of multilingual speakers of English as a lingua franca
2. Language choice and management of internationally socialized, multilingual speakers
3. Meta-cognitive perspectives: beliefs, assumptions, knowledge (BAK) towards English as an essentially multilingual lingua franca
Panel 3: Cognition and Media
1. Social conditions and interaction structures for diversity-sensitive media behavior on the micro-, meso-, and/or macro level
2. Cognitive reconstruction of normative presuppositions: teachers’ beliefs in media education
3. Medially mediated reflection of how diversity is handled
4. A.I. and hidden discrimination: digital technologies and the transparency of intersectional diversity in decision processes
Panel 4: Cognition and literary text
1. Requirements and effects of diversity-sensitive research on reading
2. Stereotyping and beliefs in literature-induced emotionality
3. Theory in Mind as a model of literary reception
4. Genres of poetry in models of cognitive psychology
5. Narratology from the perspective of cognitive science
The deadline for abstract submission (250 words max) is December 08, 2019. Please state your preferred panel. Registration is open from December 6, 2019.
Please submit your abstracts to diversity-cognition2020
The conference proceedings will be published as part of the COGNITIO series (Peter Lang).
Page Updated: 01-Nov-2019