LINGUIST List 32.1221
Tue Apr 06 2021
Calls: German; Applied Ling, Ling & Lit/Online
Editor for this issue: Lauren Perkins <laurenlinguistlist.org>
Dr. I. M. Nick <mavi.yaz
Women in German Studies E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Women in German Studies
Short Title: WIGS
Date: 24-Jun-2021 - 26-Jun-2021
Location: Online, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Dr. I. M. Nick
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: https://womeningermanstudies.wordpress.com/
Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Ling & Literature
Subject Language(s): German
Call Deadline: 11-Apr-2021
The official theme for the 2021 WIGS Conference is “Crossing Thresholds”. As a part of this conference, a special call for papers is being issued for a panel of papers that will specifically explore the issues of diversity and inclusivity as they relate to German Studies. Papers accepted for presentation should be ca. 20 minutes in length and may be pre-recorded.
Call for Papers:
Suggested topics include, but are by no means limited to, the following:
- Institutional/career thresholds that narrow the breadth of research and researchers in German Studies;
- Classroom thresholds that restrict the appeal and relevance of German Studies to a wider, more inclusive, and diverse segment of the student population.
- Canon thresholds that limit the breadth of German Studies curricula.
- Publishing thresholds that privilege publications in conservative journals that traditionally reject innovative work outside of the norms of the traditional German Studies canon.
- Organisational thresholds that discourage greater neurodiversity and the welcoming of differently abled students, faculty, and staff.
- Informational thresholds that deny students and faculty the opportunity to effectively network.
- Threshold guardianship that discourages diversity and inclusion in German Studies through toxic mentorship and insensitive guidance that function as gatekeeping.
- Resource thresholds that deny equal access and greater freedom to build cooperative, mutually-beneficial, action-oriented initiatives between academics in German Studies and the surrounding community.
All papers which critically examine the issues of diversity and inclusion in theory and/or practice are welcome. However, priority will be given to submissions that focus on the specific challenges faced in Higher Education by individuals and institutions when implementing diversity and inclusion frameworks. Importantly, proposals should not only focus upon identifying problem areas, but also on offering concrete solutions for promoting inclusivity and diversity within German Studies, academia, and the society as a whole. Proposals may be in either German or English. Contributions from persons not affiliated with an academic institution such as independent researchers, authors, publishers, community leaders, and artists are very much welcome.
Proposals (300 max, excluding refs) should be sent to Dr. Nick (mavi.yaz
web.de) with WIGS2021 in the subject line. Proposals should include an abstract, title, and ref. list. Deadline for submission is April 11, 2021. For more info, visit: https://womeningermanstudies.wordpress.com/
Page Updated: 06-Apr-2021