Editor for this issue: Zachary Leech <zleechlinguistlist.org>
Call for Papers:
2024 Special Issue on Arabic Vocabulary
Recent developments in computational and corpus linguistics has brought to light a variety of aspects which remained unexplored in languages such as English and French. Studies on these languages have touched on different aspects of syntax, vocabulary, phraseology, etc., and they have contributed to a better understanding both of how languages develop and how learners learn them both in natural and instruction-based contexts. However, studying these linguistic aspects in Arabic language is still an area that needs to be explored. Very few studies have examined vocabulary development and acquisition/learning in Arabic language.
The International Journal of Arabic Linguistics is preparing a special issue on Arabic vocabulary. Therefore, we invite researchers of Arabic to contribute their articles on studies or reviews related to Arabic vocabulary to this special issue of the journal. Submissions from applied linguistics or other linguistic fields are welcome.
Topics may include but not limited to:
• The development of vocabulary in Arabic as L1
• The development of vocabulary in Arabic as L2
• Arabic vocabulary learning among speakers of other languages (i.e. languages other than Arabic)
• Word frequency in Arabic vocabulary
• The vocabulary profiles of Arabic speakers and/or learners
• Developing tests to measure vocabulary knowledge (receptive and productive)
• Developing automatic (i.e. computational tools) to study Arabic vocabulary
• The difference between receptive and productive vocabulary knowledge
• Coverage and the relationship between vocabulary knowledge and reading comprehension
• Coverage and the relationship between vocabulary knowledge and learners’ writing productions
• The contextual distribution (i.e. range) of Arabic vocabulary in learner texts/productions
• Vocabulary in Arabic teaching materials
• Morphological studies related to Arabic vocabulary
• Historical studies related to Arabic vocabulary
Besides these areas, the journal also welcomes reviews of books, chapters and interesting vocabulary studies which might interest researchers of Arabic vocabulary and illuminate new areas and aspects of investigating vocabulary. These reviews should mainly target researchers of Arabic linguistics who cannot read research in other languages.
Interested authors are invited to submit their manuscripts with a title page including the contributor’s complete name, email, and affiliation to Brahim Ait Hammou at: [email protected]. The deadline for the submissions is November 30th, 2023. Publication is expected for February 2024.
Page Updated: 19-Sep-2023
LINGUIST List is supported by the following publishers: